The feature allows documents initially created on iOS Devices (running iOS 8 or later) to be “picked up” and worked upon using Macs running Yosemite… and vice-versa.
Handoff depends upon Bluetooth Low Energy in order to work. So, in addition to making sure that:
- You are using iOS 8 (or later) on your iOS devices
- You are running Yosemite on your Macs
- You have Handoff enabled on your Macs and iOS Devices
- You have all devices signed into the same iCloud account
- and You have Bluetooth enabled,
You must also make sure that your Mac supports BLE.
To do that, you can do one of the following:
Enter the following command into Terminal:
system_profiler SPBluetoothDataType | grep LMP
Go to the Apple Menu, click About this Mac, click System Report. Select Bluetooth. Look at the LMP Version.
The version must be 0x6 for Handoff to work.
Otherwise, no dice.
An important implication of depending upon Bluetooth Low Energy for Handoff, is that you must be in close proximity to your devices, in order for Handoff to work.